List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: RegEx
From:       Eric MSP Veith <eveith () wwweb-library ! net>
Date:       2014-11-20 22:28:54

On Tuesday 18 November 2014 14:23:58, Boris Atanasov <sata@mail.bg> wrote:
> Thanks to all you for answers. It was great help, especially on you Bruka.
> Maybe I should start to learn them later. However they are very exciting
> tool and maybe I'll read meanwhile.
>

> ----- Цитат от bruka (bruka@idatainc.com), на 18.11.2014 в 16:03
> -----  Getting back to the original question:
>

> Is it really important to know very well regular expressions,
> if I am not going to be a web designer?
> What about a web developer?
>

> Regular expressions are a vast and beautiful subject. However for
> someone starting out in the field, I would consider them lower
> priority. You should first get a couple of programming languages under
> your belt, some basic SQL, a framework or 2, and in the process you're
> bound to pick up some regex.

This might become a flame war, and certainly opens up a lot of possibilities
for discussion, but I would never discard regulard expressions as lower
priority.

RegExpes are not hard to learn, especially if you cover the basics. Mastering
them, of course, is an entirely different topic, but that doesn't mean that
you should learn them later. Parsing strings is much more common work than one
might think, and being proficient with the basics of regular expressions
really helps a lot. At least, its better than to use all the other awkward
string function just to get pieces extracted from a string.

Once you've covered the basics of regular expressions, you'll never need any
other string search/concat/edit function. Plus, regexpes work nearly
everywhere.

Just my two cents.
			--- Eric