List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: editor for newbie
From:       Walton Hoops <me () waltonhoops ! com>
Date:       2010-12-31 20:12:55

On 12/31/2010 7:25 AM, ccc wrote:
> I've just started to play with Ruby. I'm using Windows XP. What is the
> best text editor/IDE to use?
>
> I have good experience with vi, intermediate experience with emacs,
> and have used a number of others such as TextPad, Eclipse, and (sorry)
> Visual Studio.
>
> Also and especially for vi and emacs, hints and suggestions about
> configuring the editor for Ruby.
>
> Thanks, CC.

Just to be the odd man out here, I'll advocate Emacs.  Technomancy's
excellent Emacs Starter Kit is great for Ruby development.  Among other
things, it comes with inf-ruby.el, which lets you send pieces of Ruby
code from your active buffer into an IRB session running in another
buffer.  I also find flymake (also already set up in the starter kit)
handy, as adds actual syntax checking to Emacs' syntax highlighting.

If your going with Vim, I'd have a look at this video
(http://vimcasts.org/episodes/running-vim-within-irb/) for a handy way
of doing something similar with Vim and IRB.