List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: gui with ruby
From:       Alex DeCaria <alex.decaria () millersville ! edu>
Date:       2010-05-18 13:35:19

Robert Dober wrote:
> I am surprised to read, this Tk is built into Rub1.9 and works
> perfectly for me, on which platform are you?
> Cheers
> R.

I'm on the Windows side (XP and Windows 7).  When I installed Ruby 1.9
the Tk Libraries were no longer bundled with the Windows installer
(there is a whole long, prior thread on this issue elsewhere in this
forum, at http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/204364#new).  I was able to
install the 'tk_as_gem' gem and get my Tk programs working again (this
was more difficult on my 64-bit Windows 7 OS), but when I run them they
load painfully slow, tile-by-tile.  They work fine once loaded, but they
always load slowly.  So I decided to leanr FXRuby and rewrite them all
in FXRuby instead (not that FXRuby is perfect mind you).

--Alex