List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Newbie needs help
From:       Aldric Giacomoni <aldric () trevoke ! net>
Date:       2010-02-16 16:18:48

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> Gui Djos wrote:
> [...]
>>  I should point out, mr. Koser, that your attitude does nothing but
>> discourage new programmers from learning Ruby. In that sense, as highly
>> as you may think of yourself, you act as a negative force in the
>> community. You pull it backwards, which, if my impressions on Ruby's
>> philosophy are correct, is, to say the least, "very crappy".
>
> I gave you help and encouragement to use the Ruby language better.  I
> don't know why you're responding this way.

Because people hate being told they are morons! :-)

>> With all
>> your experience in this specific language, sir, you do not seem like a
>> "Happy Programmer", and I don't think mr. "Matz" would approve your
>> behavior towards newcomers to the creative world of Ruby.
>
> Matz is active on this list, and I'm sure he has read my posts.  If he
> doesn't like them, I hope he'll tell me.

With all due respect to both Matz and you, I believe he has more
important things to do than police/moderate this forum/mailing list. Gui
is right, and your tone in your original response was very harsh and
condescending. I do believe it was not meant to be, but that is how it
came across.

>>  I would never bash you for your terrible web designining skills
>
> You just did, by saying that.  Don't be disingenuous.
No, he just made an example. He was not actually commenting your
web-design skills.

>> if you
>> asked me for help on a web design forum, even knowing you seem to rely
>> on them for professional means.
>
> I'm primarily a developer, not a designer.  If I asked you for design
> help, I would expect you to tell me everything you didn't like about my
> designs, and what you would do instead -- in other words, I would expect
> you to do exactly what I did.

Marnen: I, like you, enjoy the raw, unadorned truth - especially when I
am plain "doing it wrong", the wrong way, with the wrong thought
process. Not many people share this point of view, however, and prefer a
gentle guiding to the right track. In fact, they are usually very happy
to jump right in line. The basic process is : compliment, correct,
compliment.

>>  You did give me some advice on healthy Ruby coding, but I'll show you
>> how to teach the same stuff with a better attitude (I've done it with
>> other areas, including programming, in which I actually have valuable
>> knowledge):
>>
>>  - try to avoid methodName; use method_name instead
>>  - there's no need to initialize x_1, x_2 or delta, since they receive
>> values before being read
>>  - BigDecimal tends to be a better choice when doing calculations,
>> rather than Float. Plus, if you think about it, you didnt need Float()
>> for the above statements ;)
>>  - dont return multiple values from a method. Its better to do it the
>> old way (using arrays or hashes) [just fyi, I had read otherwhise in
>> more than one place]
>>  - avoid using capitalized names, unless youre defining constants
>
> This is exactly what I said.

Yes... But Gui's words sound like advice - yours sound like bashing
someone in the head! ;-)

> [...]
>>  It's not like you ran the code anyways. I thought the error was
>> obvious: the radices found are incorrect (they're not radices to the
>> function).

Wait.. Mathematics? Why would I worry about that? I have _computers_ who
give me the _right_ answer! :p Gui, what's obvious for one person isn't
obvious for someone else.. :)

> Tip for the future: if you post here (or in any similar forum) and just
> say "it doesn't work", people are not going to be particularly willing
> to help you.  If you get an error, always describe it.

At this point, it's customary to link to ESR's "how to ask smart
questions", isn't it? :)