List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    RubyScript2Exe fix for bug in line 621?
From:       __ __ <ragnell255 () krausonline ! com>
Date:       2009-06-30 21:56:39

I am new to Ruby, but not to programming.  I have spent several hours
researching how to get RubyScript2Exe to work with Ruby version
1.8.6-p287.

RubyScript2Exe is no longer maintained, however.  Because of this, there
is a bug in line 621 that, with version 1.8.6-p287 of Ruby, produces
this error, (without the quotes):

"rubyscript2exe.rb:621:in 'replace': can't modify frozen string
(TypeError)"

In my research, I came across this:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/183234

There, it is suggested that line 621, which is:

$0.replace(File.expand_path("./init.rb"))

...should be replaced by:

$0 = File.expand_path("./init.rb")

Maybe this works for some people, I don't know.  I do know that it
didn't work for me.

Later in my research, I found this:

http://rha7dotcom.blogspot.com/2008/09/rubyscript2exerb-and-623-cant-modify.html

First, a quick note to avoid confusion.  The blogger mistakingly said
the bug is on line 623.  This is probably because he added a few lines
somewhere earlier on in the program.

Anyway, it is suggested that the buggy line (which is line 621) should
be replaced by:

$_0 = File.expand_path("./init.rb")
alias $__0 $0
alias $0 $_0

It seems that this fix may have helped some people.  However, it did not
work when I tried it.  There was no error, but it didn't make the exe.

The OS I tried it on was Vista. The program I was trying to compile was
a one line Hello World program with the filename "Hello_World" (without
the quotes).

By the way, technically, it seems that the bug is not in RubyScript2Exe
but in the program that compresses it.  However, they are both located
in the same Ruby file.

If you need to ask any more information to diagnose the problem, go
ahead.

Could anyone please make a fix that works for me?  Such a fix would
likely benefit many people.  If no one can, could someone tell me if
there are any other programs that can make an exe from a Ruby file?

Thank you VERY much!