List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Ruby vs. Groovy: your perspective
From:       marc <gmane () auxbuss ! com>
Date:       2009-06-06 14:38:14

Michael Bruschkewitz said:

> "marc" <gmane@auxbuss.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Michael Bruschkewitz said:
>>> My argument was:
>>> If you're in an environment which is familiar to Java but not to Ruby,
>>> I would prefer Groovy.
>>
>> Sure, the barrier to entry is lower. Also, as a manager type, I often
>> encounter devs who treat their day job as just that and are not
>> interested or motivated to learn more than they have to - they quietly
>> drive me nuts, to be honest! If this is the case, then Groovy is more
>> likely to succeed - and you won't encounter quiet hostility every day
>> at work!
>
> Hello Marc,
> your arguments target "devs" - I suppose you mean "software developers".
> But you don't know which is the environment of OP.

Sure, the OP was looking for subjective views, and they can only be based
on the limited info provided; I wasn't writing a thesis!

> Imagine, he develops
> software for medical devices, for example. Most probably, people in his
> environment would be highly specialized biologists, physicists,
> physicians a.s.o. which only accidentally do something related to
> software. Maybe adapting some parameters. Forcing them to learn another
> language just because it's "better" some way would be wasting resources.

No-one suggested forcing anyone to do anything; that is almost certainly
guaranteed to fail. But I certainly don't agree that devs learning a new
language (identified as appropriate) is a waste of resources; a bean
counter might, but not an experienced technologist.

> Imagine space, car, rail, weapons, energy related projects - everywhere
> you will work with people which are highly specialized on their area. In
> most real-world projects, you will have tight deadlines. So, low entry
> barriers are important for the success of most projects. That's for
> short term.
>
> For long term I supposed both languages for reasons as you mentioned
> below.
>
> Unfortunately, OP did not tell about his needs or environment.
>
>> If you have "old skool" devs who are interested in their work, then I'd
>> push on with JRuby (and by association Ruby).
>
> It always depends on (their) plans for future. And depends on how much
> time is needed or available until targets must be reached.

Sure, it always depends. That's the nature of systems with constraints.

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."