List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: sockets, windoze, and threads
From:       "ara.t.howard" <ara.t.howard () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-31 21:06:32

On Mar 31, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:

> Ara, didn't test the code yep, but you should move away from win32 as
> platform matcher for Windows, at least, if you plan your code work
> with the upcoming one-click installer:

yeah this is just toy code at this point.  still a valid point - what
would have us do to be rock solid

has_fork = fork{ exit! } rescue nil

??

> http://blog.mmediasys.com/2008/03/29/progress-of-one-click-installer-rubyinstaller/

this is really great - my thoughts on the topic are well documented in
the archives ;-)

> Will test it later and get back to you ;-)

so far it's rock solid - what this means is that i'll be able to
provide a cross platform open4 impl whereby client code can have
handles on pid, stdin, stdout, stderr for the child process in a
*thread safe* fashion - very cool.  the sockets idea is from steve
shreeve btw...

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.