List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Problems installing RRDtool gem under Windows
From:       "Jano Svitok" <jan.svitok () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-31 16:28:03

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assumed VC6 = Visual C Version 6. If this is correct, then that does it
>  for me, as I can't get a copy of that software.
>  Is this the case even if a run the binary?

What you are looking for is rrd extension, that is a .dll linked
against ruby and librrd.
It makes a bridge between librrd and ruby - it allows you to call
librrd from ruby.

In order to obtain the dll you have to compile it. Your assumption was
right - VC6 is Visual C++ 6.
It might be possible to use mingw gcc to compile it though.

I have VC6 installed, but unfortunately, the code #includes unistd.h,
that is not included with VC6.
So I can't help here. Try the mingw32 way. You'll need the development
package of rrdtool - at least .h and .lib files.

Note: ruby extensions (=dlls) have .so extension (=file suffix)
instead of usual .dll.

Another way to use rrdtool could be calling the exe file with proper
parameters and parsing the result.
For this you don't need the extension.

J.