List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: ruby incredibly slow (update 2)
From:       Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-11-23 2:50:00

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:37:29 -0500, William Rutiser
<wruyahoo05@comcast.net> wrote:

>Its good that you have it resolved. Do you know what the tools did?
>
>I have suspected that your problem might have had to do lots of files in
>some directory that Ruby or Rails searches frequently. Another
>possibility is an accumulation of junk in the Windows environment
>variables. Perhaps the drive was badly fragmented.

Mostly the tools cleaned the registry and did some mumbo-jumbo about
removing file pointers that were bad. Nothing that looked like it
would obviously improve much of anything. The spy eraser found a few
things. the SpeedUpMyPC part cleaned up memory, whatever that means,
and "junk files" that "clutter up your system and reduce performance".

None of it was very interesting. The hard drive was NOT defragged
until later. After degfragging a bit, the tests run in 33 seconds the
first time and 15 the second. (This strikes me as odd also.)

All in all, very magical and unsatisfying. But the problem is gone and
I think I'll just pretend it never happened. I have other things I'd
rather learn about if I can ...

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com