List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: ruby incredibly slow (update 2)
From:       Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-11-19 4:55:00

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:43:46 -0500, Bill Kelly <billk@cts.com> wrote:

>Normally a command like that wouldn't take long, unless there's
>an awful lot of data to process.

Yes, thanks. I think it's 5 lines and that it is taking 15 seconds to
run. Weird ...

If it's not the I/O I suppose it could be something about Ruby trying
to compile things.

That brings a thought to mind. Chet and I wrote a trivial benchmark
that just did a long loop. Seemed to run one second slower on my
machine than his, no matter how long the loop.

Which would mean that compiling a trivial program takes one second
longer on his machine ... ?

Hmm ...

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com