List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: webrick alternative
From:       Michael Conrad <list-ruby () friggleware ! de>
Date:       2007-11-15 20:06:35

Hi,

> A simple mongrel handler uses about 6-7MB of ram for me on 32bit
> systems. What all are you loading to get it to 16MB?
you are (nearly) right, after startup the mongrel uses about 7-8 MB non relocatable
memory (rss option). But at the same time, the data resident segment (drs option, rss included)
shows 18 MB of RAM. In comparison, webrick needs about 5 MB rss and 14 MB drs.

In contrast the plain ruby interpreter needs about 1,5 MB rss and 3 MB drs.

ps -eo pid,args,drs,rss|grep ruby
  4782 ruby webrick.rb             14322  4872
  4783 ruby mongrel.rb             18322  7776
  4820 ruby -e sleep 60             3266  1548

I will give lighttp a try, thanks for your help

     Micha

["mongrel.rb" (application/x-ruby)]
["webrick.rb" (application/x-ruby)]