List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: ruby wish-list
From:       Suraj Kurapati <snk () gna ! org>
Date:       2007-11-15 17:48:07

Marc Heiler wrote:
> (By the way, an accessor_read that can query variables with ? on the end
> would be nice in std ruby too... I am not complaining at all, ruby is so
> flexible, I already use this for my code and i love it, like @file.readable?
> that queries a "special" reader accessor... i think it reads nicer than
> @file.readable but this is just my opinion)

Do you mean that attr_accessor treats symbols with a question mark
differently by creating a "symbol_without_question=" writer method and a
"symbol_with_question" reader method?  For example:

  class Foo
    attr_acessor :readable?  # defines Foo#readable= and Foo#readable?
  end

  f = Foo.new
  f.readable? #=> nil
  f.readable = 99
  f.readable? #=> 99

This would be very useful, because it would make the following
workaround obsolete:

  class Foo
    attr_writer :readable  # only defines Foo#readable=

    def readable?
      @readable
    end
  end

Oh wishing star, here is another wish for you! :-)
Thanks for your consideration.