List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Newbie question
From:       Tim Hunter <TimHunter () nc ! rr ! com>
Date:       2007-11-01 21:40:46

Dale Smith wrote:
> First thing's first - if there's a newbie forum where a question like
> this would be more appropriate, somebody please point it out to me.
>
> I'm new to Ruby, and I'm trying to pick it up specifically for Watir
> testing.  I've installed Ruby from the One Click Installer for Windows
> three times now, but I keep running into the same issue, so at this
> point I figure it must be operator error.  The versions I've used so far
> are:
>
> ruby186-25.exe
> ruby185-24.exe
> ruby185-22.exe
>
> Here's the issue I keep running into:
>
> C:\rubysandbox>irb
> irb(main):001:0> 1..10.each { |x| puts x }
> NoMethodError: undefined method 'each' for 10:Fixnum
>         from (irb):1
> irb(main):002:0>
>

> Why do I keep getting a NoMethodError when I try to use the each()
> method on a number?

#each generally applies to collection of things, so you don't use it on
a single number. I think what you want is

(1..10).each {|x| puts x}

By surrounding the range 1..10 with parentheses you're telling Ruby that
you want the #each method for the range 1..10, not for the single number 10.

--
RMagick OS X Installer [http://rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick/]
RMagick Hints & Tips [http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=1618]