List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: I'm looking for any! information about ruby and QT
From:       Stefano Crocco <stefano.crocco () alice ! it>
Date:       2007-07-13 11:41:53

Alle giovedì 12 luglio 2007, anansi ha scritto:
> Hi,
> I tried it severaly times now but always failed. I want to make a ruby
> application that uses QT but I'm lacking information about it. I'm never
> succeding in getting that to work what I did. I know there is a ebook
> for 10$ but I really don't have the money and I'm no professional coder
> but a hobby coder.
> So I wondered can anybody point me to free information about it ?
>

> I know these links and the ones linked in them:
> http://www.arachnoid.com/ruby/RubyGUIProject/index.html
> http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/index.html
>

> If someone is itself familiar with ruby and qt maybe you can help me?
> I generated with qt4-designer this rss.ui:
> http://nopaste.php-q.net/309650 and converted it with rbuic to this
> rss.rb:  http://nopaste.php-q.net/309649
>
> Now I try to show this Qt-window with that code:
>
> #!/usr/bin/qtrubyinit
> require '/home/myuser/Desktop/rss.rb'
>
> class RssShow < MainWindow
>     def initialize(app)
>        super()
>        @app = app
>     end
> end
>
> # create and show dialog
> if $0 == __FILE__
>     app = Qt::Application.new(ARGV)
>     dialog = RssShow.new(app)
>     app.mainWidget = dialog
>     dialog.show
>     app.exec
> end
>

> but it always fails and gives me that error:
> $ ./rss-show.rb
> /home/myuser/Desktop/rss.rb:15:in `const_missing': uninitialized
> constant MainWindow::WType_TopLevel (NameError)
>          from /home/myuser/Desktop/rss.rb:15:in `initialize'
>          from ./rss-show.rb:6:in `initialize'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/Qt/qtruby.rb:1682:in `call'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/Qt/qtruby.rb:1682:in `try_initialize'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/Qt/qtruby.rb:1681:in `catch'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/Qt/qtruby.rb:1681:in `try_initialize'
>          from ./rss-show.rb:14:in `new'
>          from ./rss-show.rb:14
>
> Does anybody know why? Or can point me to further information about ruby
> and Qt?

Qt is well documented. There's the qt reference
(http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/index.html), which, while witten for C++, can
be translated to ruby almost directly. Besides, in the qtruby distribution
(http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum), there are a lot of example written
in ruby (they're the ports to ruby of the C++ examples provided with Qt). The
examples include the tutorial described in the qt documentation
(http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/examples.html#qt-tutorial).

I hope this helps

Stefano