List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Question for those developing GUI apps with Ruby
From:       David Mullet <david.mullet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-05-17 15:46:08

Karl von Laudermann wrote:

> Or is there a way to package and distribute the wxWidgets (or Qt or
> GTK or Fox) library and the Ruby bindings along with your app's Ruby
> sources so that your only end user system requirement is Ruby? And if
> you do redistribute the GUI library and the Ruby bindings, do you have
> to install them into the System somehow, or modify paths and/or
> environment variables to make sure they're "installed" properly? Or
> can you have everything in a single folder along side your app's
> sources, so everything is nicely self-contained without the user
> needing to modify their system?

I heartily recommend Erik Veenstra's RubyScript2Exe:

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html

It works well for me, and is well documented and supported. I use it on
Windows and distribute wxRuby apps for use on dozens of PCs without a
problem. It works for Mac and Linux, as well. As Joel said, Ruby doesn't
need to be installed on the user's machine.

David

http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com