On 14 Mar 2007, at 17:01, Robert Dober wrote: > On 3/14/07, Eleanor McHugh wrote: >> What this all boils down to at core is this: both BSD and GPL folks >> are good, decent people. BSD folks like to give gifts to the >> individual developer whilst GPL folks prefer to give their gifts to >> the community of end-users - without the former the world would have >> a lot fewer clever developers, and without the latter we'd all be >> stuck with proprietary tools of dubious provenance. > > Well that pretty much sums it up very nicely, does this mean that I > have not understand the feudal stuff above??? Apparently not. My reference to feudalism was to the notion of a social contract, which essentially is what the GPL defines, in which rights derive from a single point of unquestionable moral authority and everyone else has a clearly delineated role with attendant rights and obligations. For the GPL's purpose this is exactly how things should be. >> Which of the two groups any one of us falls in at any given time >> surely depends on what we're hoping to achieve with our current >> project? > Exactly I might chose BSD because I really do not want to "protect" my > source code or I might use GPL because I want :) Yes, which is why it's foolish of people to take a religious stance one way or the other. Personally I've never used the GPL for a project, but I don't value my code that much. However if I was working on something that would require months or years of costly development the GPL might be an ideal way to have my cake and eat it: open source so end-users can be confident my product is good, but a license that keeps me in control. >> raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason > > Stack overvlow ;) Guess we're still in beta then ;) Ellie Eleanor McHugh Games With Brains ---- raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason