List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: GUI With Ruby
From:       google () andreas-s ! net
Date:       2007-03-15 18:40:07

On 15 Mrz., 19:08, Chad Perrin <per...@apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 07:10:07PM +0900, goo...@andreas-s.net wrote:
>
> > > So would any number of other possible solutions, such as reimplementing
> > > the same stuff
>
> > Great Idea. Why care about licenses at all, when we can just
> > reimplement everything we need?
>
> > > One of the problems I have with the GPL is that it
> > > reduces the ability of a reimplimentation under another license to
> > > "catch on", in large part thanks to the fame imparted on it by the
> > > successes of some software projects that bear the GPL.
>
> > So the problem you have with the GPL is that GPL projects usually work
> > very well? I see your point...
>
> Thank you for your sarcasm, and for completely ignoring the actual
> problems I have with the GPL in favor of sniping and ridicule.

Forgive me my sarcasm, but I just think that your arguments against
the GPL are mostly FUD. The "can I redistribute a binary if I have
lost the source" scenario is far-fetched, you vastly overstate the
cost of providing source code, and you just refuse to accept the fact
that the GPL works insofar that it forces companies to reveal the
source code of products they would otherwise not reveal, which
ultimately benefits the end user.

I'm not a GPL "fan", in fact I have never used in any of my projects
(mostly because they are not important enough), but I think that for
many projects it is a great choice, for the reasons mentioned above.

We could continue this discussion for another few dozen posts, but I
don't think it will be fruitful, so it's EOD for me.