On 3/14/07, Eleanor McHugh wrote: > On 14 Mar 2007, at 10:27, Chad Perrin wrote: > > I also think that once you *give away* or *sell* something, it is *no > > longer yours* and you no longer have a right, as author or > > otherwise, to > > dictate how others dispose of it. Period. If you want to maintain > > control of it, keep it in your possession. Otherwise, recognize that > > giving up possession (without explicit contractual agreements) > > should be > > synonymous with giving up control. > > Which if course is the main point of contention between the BSD and > GPL camps. If I were to release code under BSD it would ensure I > received recognition for the effort involved in writing it, if I > released under GPL it would allow me to control how distributors and > derivators used the code. The former is essentially a gift to the > community (in the same way as a named Hospital Wing) whilst the > latter is more akin to a feudal patent - only one where the > obligation is measured in source code distribution and resubmission. That is not so, you do not have to contribute there is no obligation. There is only a rule what is so wrong with playing with the rules, Rick do you hear me? You explain it soooo much better! > > Of course I'm not sure Richard Stallman would wish to be described as > architect of a system of feudal governance, but that's a discussion > for another day ;p Nor would I ;) but I really fail to see that analogy apply. > > What this all boils down to at core is this: both BSD and GPL folks > are good, decent people. BSD folks like to give gifts to the > individual developer whilst GPL folks prefer to give their gifts to > the community of end-users - without the former the world would have > a lot fewer clever developers, and without the latter we'd all be > stuck with proprietary tools of dubious provenance. Well that pretty much sums it up very nicely, does this mean that I have not understand the feudal stuff above??? > > Which of the two groups any one of us falls in at any given time > surely depends on what we're hoping to achieve with our current project? Exactly I might chose BSD because I really do not want to "protect" my source code or I might use GPL because I want :) > > > Ellie > > Eleanor McHugh > Games With Brains > ---- > raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason Stack overvlow ;) > > > > Robert -- You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not? -- George Bernard Shaw