List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: GUI With Ruby
From:       Chad Perrin <perrin () apotheon ! com>
Date:       2007-03-13 19:11:24

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 07:55:18PM +0900, Robert Dober wrote:
> On 3/13/07, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> >On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 07:31:23AM +0900, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> >> On 3/11/07, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> >>

> Gentlemen
>
> this is probably a really tough test for our tolerance.
>
> I think that the problem of the FSF is that they needed lawyers and if
> you are an anarchist like Chad seems to be and I am to some extent
> than you are in big troubles.

Heh.  I'm not an anarchist -- haven't been since shortly after high
school, when I came to some conclusions about power vacuums, and
abandoned my previously anarcho-capitalist leanings in favor of a
principled libertarian minarchism (yes, political science is a hobby of
mine).  I guess one might consider me something of an anarchist where
"intellectual property" law is concerned, though.  If someone isn't
using or threatening violence, or perpetuating fraud, I don't think his
or her actions should be illegal.  Period.

> The law Chad, is of course a gun on our head, but it is also a gun on
> the head of e.g. Microsoft.

A gun should be employed as a weapon of defense.  When it is used
offensively, it is used improperly.  That's my take on the matter.  That
means that if someone employs force (physical, potential, or deceptive)
to enforce his or her will over your own, that person is acting in an
unethical manner, and force is an appropriate response.

I don't see that justification holding up for enforced source code
distribution.  Since you started analyzing my statements somewhat, I
figured I'd offer you some more information on the thought behind them.

> Microsoft would have destroyed the market already were it not for some
> laws, I think we can agree on this, right?

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Microsoft would have tanked a long time
ago, if it weren't for some *other* laws.

Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of
others we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any
Invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously."