List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: GUI With Ruby
From:       Chad Perrin <perrin () apotheon ! com>
Date:       2007-03-13 2:51:30

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 06:45:03AM +0900, Robert Dober wrote:
> On 3/11/07, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> >
> >Of course, I find both annoyingly limited in applicability to a single
> >form of copyrightable work, and the BSD license's applicability to
> >derivative works is ambiguous.  I still prefer the BSD license over the
> >GPL, especially considering recent examples of the FSF threatening legal
> >action against small community Linux distributions for debatable
> >violations of GPL terms.
>
> I have heard of that and I was quite alarmed about it. I do not
> however think that one should forget the importance of GPL and it's
> inventor on the paradigm change in society.

Of course -- historical context is important to understanding any trends
and current circumstances, and that context can have a continuing effect
on future developments.

> Your points are very valid and understandable, but maybe the defensive
> aggressive attitude of the FSF is nothing more than somebody wanting
> the rights they are fighting for respected.

I don't consider forced distribution models that ultimately prevent easy
distribution for the least organizationally powerful to qualify as a
"right".

> It is however vital to know how far they go for everybody before they
> chose their licence and it is a good thing to talk about it often.

Agreed.

"The measure on a man's real character is what he would do
if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas McCauley