List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: GUI With Ruby
From:       Eleanor McHugh <eleanor () games-with-brains ! com>
Date:       2007-03-12 11:04:09

On 12 Mar 2007, at 01:20, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Well, in the specific case of Ruby, I don't think it will be "taken
> away" so much as it will be "purchased." My license says
> essentially, "Here is this idea I had expressed in software. If you
> are willing to do the work to make a business out of it, great, I
> don't expect anything in return for it."
>
> Then again, I've been programming a long time, and intend to keep
> doing it till they pry my cold dead fingers off the keyboard.
> (Unless, of course, I figure out a way to turn thought directly
> into code without requiring tongues or fingers. *That* I might not
> give away. :) )

I must admit that I don't have any interest in my 'old' code at all,
so the thought of other people running off with it and doing their
own thing really doesn't bother me. Been there, done that, bored now.
If someone can figure out a way of making millions off some random
crufty code I threw together as a quick hack one Saturday then good
luck to them :)

The couple of open-source projects I'm currently trying to get up and
running are BSD licensed for the simple reason that the people
they're targeted at are generally BSD-license friendly, but all the
commercial code I've written has been locked under proprietary
licenses and if I ever had to do anything similar in the future, well
a good clean-room rewrite would be a blessing in disguise.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
----