List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: help please - openssl and ruby
From:       Chris Catton <chrisc () amphora-research ! com>
Date:       2006-12-31 14:29:40

Jan Svitok wrote:

> preserved.
> That obvoiusly doesn't answer your primary question... I can't say.
> Maybe format of the data? If you could post the exact data and exact
> (fully working) code, I may have a look at it.

Thanks jan - you were right that the difference between the keys was not
causing the problem.  For future readers, the way to do what i was
trying to achieve is simple and obvious:

pkey=OpenSSL::PKey::RSA.new(Base64.decode64(userPublicKey))
  if ( pkey.verify( OpenSSL::Digest::SHA512.new,
Base64.decode64(signatureValue), signatureText ))
    puts " OK: Signature OK"
  else
    puts " ERROR: Signature failed"
  end

I think when I first tried this, I didn't decode the signature, then saw
the difference in the keys and this threw me off track ...