List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Splitting a CSV file into 40,000 line chunks
From:       "Thomas Mueller" <thomasmueller76 () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-30 23:42:41

2006/11/30, Drew Olson <olsonas@gmail.com>:
> I'll give FasterCSV a try when I get home from work and out from behind
> this proxy. Here's another question: in some cases I need to sort the
> file before splitting it (in this case sorting by the 4th cell in each
> row). However, the current file I'm trying to sort and split is around
> 76 MB and ruby fails when trying to store the CSV as an array. The code
> and output are below. How else can I go about this?

You could import it into MS Access, sort there and export again. Maybe
you could even do all the splitting up in Access directly, but I don't
know too much about Access to help with that.
And I guess using Access would make it harder to automate this whole
task, in case that's required.

That's not very "rubyish", of course :-)

Thomas