List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Ruby on win32 cannot handle certain filenames
From:       "Austin Ziegler" <halostatue () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-14 17:26:49

On 11/14/06, Nobuyoshi Nakada <nobu@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> > Also, when I used Dir.glob, Japanese filenames worked fine but one file
> > that had an ë in it (e with umlat) had been converted somewhere in
> > ruby's internals to just a plain ASCII e. There must be some way to
> > disable this internal charset conversion.
> Not ruby's internals, it's done in Windows kernel.

Sort of. FindFirstFile is used, not FindFirstFileW (which returns a
UTF-16 string). The Windows kernel does the translation "safely", but
if Ruby used FindFirstFileW (explicitly!), it would work. Sadly, this
is very difficult without an encoding-aware String.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halostatue.ca/
               * austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/