List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Ruby GUI with IDE
From:       David Vallner <david () vallner ! net>
Date:       2006-11-12 2:04:35

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> But a QTDesigner GUI is a lot prettier than the ones I've seen come out
> of VBA, Even a Tcl/Tk GUI looks better than most of the VBA default
> dialog boxes.

Well, I never said they looked pretty. Just did the job, for given
values of the term, for amazing numbers of people. (Who coincidentally
weren't their own users. Explains a lot.)

VBA = managers. Managers = control freaks. I'm forced to use a hacked
version of Windows XP on my work laptop. Nothing says "I hate my users"
like an always-on-top, unmovable popup asking you if you want to reboot
your computer for updates now or in 30 minutes. With pixel-positioned
controls, unresizable, taking up 1/9 of the screen in the middle.

(The flamewar on whether to empower users that are Unqualified and Proud
Of It to be able to create things to be imposed on others is old, very
old. The fact that given any number of assistive tools and sensible
defaults they will do it in the worst way possible anyway well-known :P)

David Vallner