List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: McGovern Likes JRuby...
From:       "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb () cesmail ! net>
Date:       2006-11-11 23:12:41

David Vallner wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
>> Well ... I know how *I* feel about it:
>>
>> http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/2006/11/nitty-gritty-of-ruby_11.html
>>

> Impose JRuby on the world? I have my doubts Sun would even try - the
> time of Java hype marketing is past.
Well, the original poster wanted jRuby to be the one true way. I was
simply saying that wasn't possible; even Sun couldn't do it. I too doubt
if they would try. But Sun is a big enough company to try things that
might not necessarily work.

The time of Java hype marketing is past? Maybe, but the language seems
to be an 800-pound gorilla in some peoples' minds. I can't imagine Sun
*not* doing everything they can to insure that jRuby succeeds and wins
business for Sun.

> And I don't think JRuby will be as
> earthshaking to both the Ruby and Java worlds as some people make it out
> to be. By adopting JRuby as the implementation language for the Java
> platform, you are also partially dropping the advantages that keeping to
> Java has (existing infrastructure, experience, tool support). In the
> end, it might be a useful tool on both sides, but I don't see paranoid
> managers adopting Ruby en masse just because it has a J prepended to it
> - not all of them are that gullible.

Again, *I* don't support dropping other implementations of Ruby. If
nothing else, Microsoft will make at least one release of at least one
Ruby implementation. And I'm sure Matz and Koichi will continue leading
the community path.

What I'm *not* sure about is whether Rubinius  will flourish. Cardinal
seems pretty much dead, but I think there's a lot of energy behind Rubinius.
> That the JVM become the primary runtime for Ruby is somehow laughable.
> So far, it hasn't become the primary runtime for any major programming
> language that isn't Java, evidence would suggest that this remains the
> case. It would be foolish for performance reasons if nothing else, a
> dedicated optimised VM will do better when treated with Ruby
> idiosyncratisms like pervasive use of closures.

But we're talking about two different things here -- a community and
commercial enterprises. The community can afford to strive for
perfection. Commercial enterprises can not. They must *satisfice*, not
optimize!

> The signal-to-noise ratio of blog topics that concern both Java and Ruby
> has been abysmal unless it was about JRuby in specific, I hate to see
> random opinionated rants and wishful thinking cloud that topic too.

Still, you have to acknowledge that jRuby is now a commercial project
funded by a major hardware and software vendor. That's going to draw
opinions and rants and wishful thinking and love and hate and arguments
and FUD. I'm surprised someone from Microsoft hasn't attacked it
publicly yet.

jRuby is an investment. Only time will tell whether that investment will
pay off and what the payoffs will be. I don't know enough about the Java
runtime (or the CLR or Parrot, for that matter) to predict success or
failure. I'm personally much more interested in the open source
community efforts. There are many more opportunities for me to create
signal there than there are in two corporations, neither of which pays
me a dime. :)

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/