List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: is GUI a weak point?
From:       John <john_ludlow () symantec ! com>
Date:       2006-04-07 10:45:25

Chris Alfeld wrote:
> It's not so much that X11 is bad; it's good to have it available and
> actually does a good job of running X11 concurrently with OS X.  But
> it's just so disappointing.  Besides the memory/CPU cost/startup time
> it emphasises that this is a limited port of an application written
> for another architecture.  Although this applications work fine under
> X11.app the keys are different (than actual OS X apps), the appearance
> is different, the focus model may not be what they expect...

I see.  I've only tried it on Windows and, bar a few quirks, it's quite
good - a million times better than Tk on Windows at least.  Take, for
example, the list box.  Under Ruby/Tk, the list box is essentially a
text box with a list of items - one per line, and clicking a line
selects that whole line.  You can't tap a key to go to an item beginning
with that letter (you can in FxRuby), and scollbars have to be manually
attached to a host control.  But, oh, they can't just be connected, no,
that would be too simple.  They have to be put on the form as a seperate
control.  But then you have to think about how that scrollbar docks to
the side of the listbox, so a frame is needed to make sure the controls
line up correctly, and then you have to tell it to act as a scrollbar
for the listbox, and also tell it to change the size of the thumb based
on the contents of the listbox.

I didn't even attempt to build a tree.  I ported my Rake dependency tool
to FxRuby, and found it ridiculously easy to build a dialog with a
couple of trees which do the job of the Tk version far better.  It has a
file browse dialog (which the Tk version didn't) to load the rakefile,
and even a search capability.

And not to mention the fact that it just looks better - it looks more
like a Windows app, which is good on Windows.