List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: is GUI a weak point?
From:       "Carl Woodward" <cjwoodward () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-04-05 21:06:30

No one is intending a flame war but I have seen java do a lot of good
thick client work and I have had it running (with speed) on linux,
windows and osx. This includes swing and SWT. I'm not saying that java
is great but I am saying that the ideas that they have work really
well for certian situations.

A lot of applications can be done in a webapp and webapps are great
for situations where you wish to deploy the applications easily and
you are trying to capture data from the user. They are even getting
better with respect to text editors, etc. But, I have worked in
consulting for a few years now and I see that ruby is losing a lot of
developers to .NET because of its gui support, even though the ruby
language is far superior. .NET has a single toolkit for gui
development that isn't really that good but it is documented and
supported. I believe that ruby could benefit from a well documented
and usable gui toolkit or abstract layer.

If this was inplace then ruby would be stronger as a complete platform
for application development and maybe more companies would start to
use it for all of their development.

--
Carl Woodward
0412218979