List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Using Float For Currency
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () hakubi ! us>
Date:       2005-12-16 23:12:45

Stephen Waits wrote:
> I'm asking why one would use BigDecimal, specifically, as opposed to the
> built-in Integer types?

One would use BigDecimal instead of Fixnum or Bignum when one is going
to do some operation that might produce a fraction.  If you're certain
your operations will always result in whole numbers, though, I don't see
 a point in dragging in BigDecimal.

--
Neil Stevens - neil@hakubi.us

'A republic, if you can keep it.' -- Benjamin Franklin