List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Some interesting criticisms of rails
From:       Douglas Livingstone <rampant () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-17 10:32:29

2005/9/17, Robert Klemme <bob.news@gmx.net>:

> First of all it's five philosophers (i.e. as far as I remeber it's important
> that the number of resource aquisitors is odd).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dining_philosophers_problem

Not only five philosophers, but five forks too.

The solutions here are very much about moving the complexity out of
the application and into the database, which is fine if your database
can handle it. It doesn't *remove* the complexity as such, it just
means that you can stop worrying about it until your database servers
die, which in your average web app probably won't happen.

Douglas