List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: MInimal Ruby Distribution with app
From:       "rcoder" <rcoder () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-31 23:01:24

This isn't really true -- there are minor configuration problems with
the Tiger build of Ruby, but the only cases they've affected me are
when trying to build and install new extension modules. If you have
your extensions (if any) compiled and ready to go, distributing
Ruby-based applications isn't hard, esp. with tools like Platypus and
Pashua to throw a GUI on top.

The biggest problem I've had with distributing Ruby apps for OS X is
that 10.2 and 10.3 included ruby 1.6 builds, not 1.8 versions, so
binary extensions won't be compatible. You can get away with some
installer-trickery (basically, distributing both 1.6 and 1.8 builds,
and swapping the right one into place at install time) but it's quite a
pain trying to maintain (and test) backwards-compatibility for that old
a version of Ruby.

-rcoder