List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Any interest in a Ruby source code repository module modeled
From:       Joel VanderWerf <vjoel () path ! berkeley ! edu>
Date:       2005-08-07 18:50:19

ChrisO wrote:
> I posted this in the Perl c.l.p.misc and c.l.p.modules newsgroups, and
> while it's a long shot I would be able to port this to Ruby if there
> were any interest, I could certainly be tempted to do so since I have
> more than a passing fancy for Ruby (just little time and opporunity to
> use it).
>
> But if no one in the Perl world wants this and the Ruby world is
> receptive to it, maybe I would port this to Ruby.
>
> It's a source code repository module modeled after Perl's DBI (from
> which Ruby's DBI is modeled it seems).  It allows one to access source
> code repositories (VSS, CVS, Subversion, PVCS, MKS, etc.) through a
> consistent interface (think about it, databases add, modify, update and
> delete records -- hence DBI; why not checkin, checkout, label, add, etc.
> files in an underlying SCR in the same way?) and even allows one to
> extend the behavior of any or all underlying SCRs in a consistent manner.
>
> Details here:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/browse_frm/thread/a4b54460936b1fd2/c74f526490a8385f?tvc=1&hl=en#c74f526490a8385f
>

> Let me know if there is any interest in the Ruby world for this. Contact
> details in the URL above.
>
> -ceo

There's something on RAA that sounds sorta similar:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/vcs/

but I haven't used it.

I might be mildly interested in either or both of these because I use
PRCS locally and CVS and SVN remotely. Unifying them in a single ruby
interface would probably simplify rake scripts.