List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Chopping the beginning of a string elegantly
From:       "francisrammeloo () hotmail ! com" <francisrammeloo () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2005-07-30 8:06:02

I'm sorry but my first post was misleading.

The string actually looks like this:

"    BeginCaption         0, 20, 66, .."
(the whitespace can be a combination of tabs and spaces)

So I actually have to cut out "Caption" word in the <<middle>> of the
string.

Brian's hint got me on the right track. The solution I finally found
was:

pane = line.sub(/\s*Begin(\w+).*/, '\1')

Unless some expert can prove a still more tight solution I believe I
have found the best way to cut out the "Caption" part of the string.

Thank you all for your help.

Best regards,
Francis