List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: anyone using amrita?
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2005-07-12 18:40:31

Hi Aredridel,

Thank you very much for the informative reply!

Aredridel <aredridel@nbtsc.org> wrote:
> XTemplate is a bit more view-pulls-from-model, and Amrita is more
> model-pushes-to-view, in concept. They're pretty close, though. Amrita
> takes some funny pushing to make some designs work, and XTemplate can be
> cleaner.
>
> Amrita's performance isn't as hot as one might like, but it's not
> abysmal.

Performance-wise, how does XTemplate compare?  Is there any particular
reason you're using Amrita2 over XTemplate?  (I suppose XTemplate
doesn't have AJAX)

> ERB is far more general, but also messier. Each has their place -- and
> with amrita2, you can mix them. It's pretty nice.

Currently I'm using Ruby string interpolation (two levels of it) to
generate all my HTML.  I'm not using any particular template package,
just Ruby string manipulation.  It's fast and allows caching, but I
fear not very elegant or maintainable in the end.

Thanks,
Navin.