List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Accessing SVN through Ruby
From:       Eric Hodel <drbrain () segment7 ! net>
Date:       2005-04-11 21:31:32

On 11 Apr 2005, at 13:53, Bob Aman wrote:

>> On Apr 8, 2005 10:37 PM, Kouhei Sutou <kou@cozmixng.org> wrote:
>>> I don't have Windows box, so I can't help you about the
>>> thing. But INSTALL file in Subversion repository may help
>>> you:
>>
>> I'll give it a whirl, see what happens.
>
>> From the INSTALL file:
>
> Please tell me that I don't need to do all of that just to generate
> the SWIG bindings for Windows... (mumble, grumble, why can't this be
> automated more easily?)
>
> I was looking through the pickaxe book and I saw that rubygems seems
> to make allowance for precompiled gems...  Can I make use of this?
>
> Ultimately, what I'd like to create is a simple ruby-svn gem that can
> be installed anywhere with zero hassle.  If it's possible, I'd like to
> just include the external libraries for svn for each of the possible
> platforms inside the gem or something like that.  I don't want to rely
> on the library's user actually having all of the required build tools
> (especially for the windows platform).  Is this possible?  If so, how
> hard is it, and what do I have to watch out for as far as pitfalls?
> I'd prefer not to have to make seperate gems for each platform, is
> that possible, given what I want to do?

Is DL unsuitable for this?  That would require only a compiled SVN
library.

> For that matter, how hard would it be to make a pure-ruby svn client
> that conversed with svn only via http/apache?  How bad of an idea is
> this?

You'd then have to track any changes to the svn protocol, which is
unlikely to be fun/easy.

svn lists easily parseable output as one of its features...

> Be aware, I've never tried to make a gem before.  (Heck, I'm only just
> getting started with ruby, so...)

That's the easy part

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://segment7.net
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

["PGP.sig" (application/pgp-signature)]