List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Is this old style Ruby?
From:       why the lucky stiff <ruby-talk () whytheluckystiff ! net>
Date:       2005-02-16 6:11:40

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> I allow '::' for method calls to denote class methods (with C++ style
> appearance).  David doesn't like it.  I think _why liked it.

I like it okay.  Not with fervor.

@var is instance var.  obj.meth is instance method.
@@var is class var.  obj::meth is class method.

I guess I thought that the notion of single-character for any instance
syntax and double-character for any class syntax might be simpler.

It's arbitrary, though.  If it's confusing to most, I definitely want to
change it's use in the (Poignant) Guide.

_why