List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Is this old style Ruby?
From:       Paul van Tilburg <paul () luon ! net>
Date:       2005-02-15 21:33:52

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 06:13:28AM +0900, Jason Voegele wrote:
> Florian Gross said:
> > And you can not use :: for accessing methods that start with an
> > uppercase letter:
>
> That's not exactly true:
>
> [...]
>
> If you supply a parameter list (or even empty parentheses), ruby will use
> :: for accessing methods with an uppercase letter, otherwise it will
> assume you are trying to access a constant.

That's exactly why I use . for both class and instance method-calls
and :: for constants, there still is this overlap but a better
semantical devision. Since :: gives a feel for working with
"namespaces" (Foo::Bar, Foo::Bar::Konstant) and class and module names are
constants too. The . is well-known for method calls (regardless the tape)
and you also don't do:  def MyClass::classmethod; ... ; end.

That's the guideline I follow at least, just my 2¢.
It seems to be clearer for RubyNubies too (in my experience explaining
instance methods, class methods and namespaces to them).

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | email: paul@luon.net
University of Technology, The Netherlands   | JID: paul@luon.net