List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: [Q] What does Ruby/DL do?
From:       Emmanuel Touzery <emmanuel.touzery () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2004-09-15 10:28:57

Gavin Sinclair wrote:

>The Ruby/DL website (http://google...) doesn't have much by way of
>explanation.  I've seen it claimed recently that it can be used _instead
>of_ C library bindings, or some such.  Can anyone elaborate?

with ruby/DL, you describe the API of the C function that you wrap. You
give the location of the dll/so. and then you call the function. It's a
simple as that! Problem of course comes with structures and this kind of
things.
ruby/DL requires no compilation, no C external library, and is portable
across systems.

check the "Ruby/DL: Cross-platform Dynamic Linking" paragraph in
http://whytheluckystiff.net/articles/rubyOneEightOh.html

of course the problem is the severely lacking documentation.

emmanuel