List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: [ANN] Non-standard library project
From:       Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair () soyabean ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-08-10 15:20:38

On Wednesday, August 11, 2004, 12:41:23 AM, Ara.T.Howard wrote:

>> For those who are interested, I'll be creating a "rough" directory in
>> the CVS soon (no promises as to when :) containing the following code:
>> - an Enum module (by Tim Hunter, think C's enum keyword)
>> - an IO mixin for dealing with binary data (Michael Neumann's recent
>>   ruby-talk contribution)
>> - a command-line command parser, as opposed to option parser (ripped
>>   from RubyGems, works nicely with optparse)
>>
>> That should give some idea of the nature of the project.
>>
>> Gavin

> what kinds of things are you still looking for gavin?

Well, I anticipate that eventually the project will contain around 30
libraries.  At the moment there are about 5 documented ideas on the
Wiki.  So I don't have a shopping list, rather an open ear for
suggestions.

That said, the things I'm looking for are code people have written
where they think it might have some use outside their project but they
can't be bothered generalising and productising it.  That, and ADTs,
OO patterns, and other things of general interest.

Preferably pure Ruby, unless and until a simply irresistable C-based
contribution comes along.

Cheers,
Gavin