List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: [ANN] Non-standard library project
From:       Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair () soyabean ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-08-10 13:49:48

On Tuesday, August 10, 2004, 12:16:06 PM, Stephen wrote:

> Are you talking with this guy, yet?

> batsman.geo@yahoo.com

Dunno.  Are we talking yet, Mauricio? :)

> See his: Subject: [ANN] Preliminary Ruby Production Archive -- over
> 100 packages available

> Looks to me like everyone wants the same thing:  CPAN for Ruby.

I guess I didn't explain the 'nonstdlib' concept very well, then.  It's
now called 'addlib' and rooted at http://addlib.rubyforge.org.

The idea of 'addlib' is to create a collection of fairly general
libraries, not to provide a packaging/distribution mechanism for
existing ones.

For those who are interested, I'll be creating a "rough" directory in
the CVS soon (no promises as to when :) containing the following code:
 - an Enum module (by Tim Hunter, think C's enum keyword)
 - an IO mixin for dealing with binary data (Michael Neumann's recent
   ruby-talk contribution)
 - a command-line command parser, as opposed to option parser (ripped
   from RubyGems, works nicely with optparse)

That should give some idea of the nature of the project.

Gavin