List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: [ANN] Non-standard library project
From:       Aredridel <aredridel () nbtsc ! org>
Date:       2004-06-14 19:59:01

> > I think 'nonstdlib' is a good name.  Anyone got other ideas?
>
> It looks nice, but it's a bit of a mouthful. extlib, perhaps? addlib?
> tplib (for 'third party')? Also, how does this play with your standard
> class extension package?

It sounds a lot like ruby-sumo in some ways.

This is a sort of project I was thinking I'd like to work on as well,
and lo, here's the announcement. Quite surreal.

I'd love to see such a library serve two purposes:

1) a widely available, visible place for small extensions that "play
nice" -- they follow the style of the standard library, and are not
difficult to install. Things with minimal or standard dependencies like
WEBrick was before it was standard would be the sort of project I'd love
to see included.

2) a place for extensions that may eventually become standard. A sort of
proving ground, a place for well-made libraries to get some visibility
as "the one to use", once they're established and widely accepted. It
would make some sense of the often murky waters of the ruby sites around
the world. Crême de la crême, as it were.

Ari