List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Need Help Selecting a GUI
From:       Simon Strandgaard <neoneye () adslhome ! dk>
Date:       2004-05-15 14:13:30

dejaspam@batkins.com (Bill Atkins) wrote:
[snip]
> Wx would be my choice except that it requires such a large download on
> Linux.  I would really prefer that the user download as little as
> possible, aside from Ruby itself.  Considering that my project's
> source will be under 300K, it seems silly to require large GUI
> downloads just to make it work.
>
> Also, antialiased fonts would be extremely nice, but no toolkit seems
> to support them, except Gtk (right?) which I can't use because of the
> large Win32 dependencies.
>
> Any thoughts on these?

I have comed to pretty much the same conclusions... I am seriously
considering making multiple frontends for my aeditor project.

So on unix it supports: gtk or qt.. (havn't decided 100% yet)
on windows: windows native widget set
on mac: cocoa?

Lots of hard work, in order to get antialiasing and i18n. It seems
as XUL+ruby is still too far away.

--
Simon Strandgaard