List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Fox --> GTK  ?
From:       Detlef Reichl <detlef.reichl () gmx ! org>
Date:       2004-04-21 21:33:44

On Mit, 2004-04-21 at 04:32 +0900, Hal Fulton wrote:
> gabriele renzi wrote:
> > il Wed, 21 Apr 2004 03:11:33 +0900, Hal Fulton
> > <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> ha scritto::
> >

> >>I was discussing this with someone last night. A notebook is
> >>inappropriate because the underlying metaphor is a bunch of small notes
> >>on a bulletin board.
> >>
> >>These aren't open docs as such. They are tiny notes, perhaps up to 20
> >>or so visible at a time.
> >>
> >>I'm thinking of just having real windows for them, but I hate losing the
> >>"containment" of the notes.
> >

> > I wonder if you could use some kind of Canvas for this. It seem better
> > to me that plain windows..
>
> I thought of something like that -- draw the little windows on a canvas,
> and when you click on one to edit it, turn it into a "real" widget in
> the same spot.
>
> It's kind of cheating, though. And it sounds computationally expensive.
> And moving/resizing the notes would be a problem.
>
> Hal

something like this i made in c some time ago with subclassing gtk::
layout. i had many smal windows which could be draged around and while
gtk::layout is a subclass of gtk::conainer you could put in what you
want. if you want i can look if i have some code snipets of it.

cheers
detlef

--
Wer für alles offen ist, kann nicht ganz dicht sein.

                 <* ))))x<