List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Python 25 times as popular as Ruby !?
From:       Martin DeMello <martindemello () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-02-09 0:50:37

Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair@soyabean.com.au> wrote:

> It's not a community push that would finish it; it's devotion from a
> few core people and proofreading from a few more.

I believe with the right framework, a community push *could* finish it.
By the right framework, I mean something that would make it trivial for
someone to load up a webpage, see a precise and categorised list of
parts needing to be done, and be able to fill in a missing task, or
perhaps add some notes to a wikipage for that task. A wiki is not
suitable for the main organisation, note - it's too unstructured. And
the varioouus faq-o-matic programs I've seen, where people contribute
questions and other people answer them, don't focus enough on the big
picture. Maybe something like bugzilla could be adapted for the task -
not familiar enough with that.

Another advantage is that it'd let us easily pool togeher code from all
the existing cookbook projects out there, and would provide a natural
framework within which we could extend this beyond the confines of the
perl cookbook.

martin