List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: ruby 1.8.1 windows installer
From:       "Ara.T.Howard" <ahoward () fattire ! ngdc ! noaa ! gov>
Date:       2004-01-14 18:06:37

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Mauricio Fernández wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:41:19 +0900
> From: Mauricio Fernández <batsman.geo@yahoo.com>
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
> Subject: Re: ruby 1.8.1 windows installer
>
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:41:38PM +0900, Alan Davies wrote:
> > >Since the first edition of the Pickaxe book didn't exactly fly off the
> > >shelves (that's my understanding anyway) you can imagine that AW would
> >
> > Maybe if you don't make the new version available online, then more
> > people will buy it?  I for one can hold my hand up in shame and say that
> > I haven't bought the existing one, because the ruby installer comes with
> > an electronic version of it.
>
> OTOH...
> I bought it *thanks* to the web version; had it not existed I'd probably
> have ended up using Python :P I don't know if the the decision to
> distribute the Pickaxe for free made sense economically (probably not),
> but it certainly has done a lot for the expansion of Ruby, so we cannot
> but thank the authors.

ditto.  i bought two copies and gave them away - to spread the word.  both
copies have moved on to co-workers, and the generated interest lead me to
teach a little ruby 101 class to more of them.  i have never done that with
any other books/languages and the graciousness of the pickaxe authors no doubt
contributed to that reaction in me.

i guess kindness is contagious.

-a
--

ATTN: please update your address books with address below!