List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: ruby unicode./encoding support
From:       Emmanuel Touzery <emmanuel.touzery () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2003-05-28 18:36:15

On Wednesday 28 of May 2003 18:18, Carlos wrote:
> > Use the 'jcode' library, and set the encoding to unicode with the -K
> > option (or by setting the KCODE variable). jcode overrides most of the
> > methods in class String so that they support the encoding you set with
> > the -K option. The exception is the length and size methods: it leaves
> > these untouched and instead gives you two new methods, jlength and jsize:
>
> [...]
>
> And add 'unicode' and you can also compare, capitalize, etc...
>
> irb(main):001:0> $KCODE='u'
> => "u"
> irb(main):002:0> require 'jcode'
> => true
> irb(main):006:0> Unicode.upcase a
> => "Č"
> irb(main):007:0>

firstable, i'm happy to read i was wrong and that ruby does have unicode
support in standard :O)

but all of this means that i can't really make using unicode optionnal in my
application... that would require a series of wrapper functions.. so either i
go unicode 100%, either i don't go at all :O(
i'll see what i'll do. i don't need it so much after all..

i hope future versions of ruby will get more transparent wrt all of this (from
what i read it seems it will).

thanks for the quick and clear answers!

emmanuel
--
"Droit devant soi, on ne peut pas aller bien loin"
	- Le petit prince, Antoine de Saint Exupéry