List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: sending a file via http
From:       Brian Candler <B.Candler () pobox ! com>
Date:       2003-04-09 13:32:10

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 10:00:49PM +0900, Jason Voegele wrote:
> Are these methods useful enough that we should consider adding them to
> the standard Ruby File class, or should I be content with requiring them
> from my 'tools' library?

I agree, except it might be an idea to add mode as an optional parameter:

      def File.read(file_name, mode='r')
          File.open(file_name, mode) { |f| f.read }
      end

      def File.write(file_name, content, mode='w')
          File.open(file_name, mode) { |f| f.write(content) }
      end

This is for the poor souls in Windows-land who need mode='rb' or whatever to
stop their O/S mangling the file. Also eliminates the need for a separate
append method.

As for this one:

      def File.filter(file_name, readmode='r', writemode='w')
          File.write(file_name, yield(File.read(file_name, readmode)), writemode)
      end

If we have this then perhaps there should be a line-by-line filter as well -
File.sed ?? But it would have to write a temporary file.

Regards,

Brian.