List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Is better to subclass or to add methods to an existing class?
From:       "Christoph" <chr_news () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-09-20 8:41:29

"ts"  wrote
>  No, no. I've just added modules to kill it :-)
>
>  Another example, what do you expect with ?
>
>    ruby -e 'class A < Array; end; a = A.new; b = A.new; p ((a+b).type)'

I would bet on an A object.  This behavior is somewhat problematic
(see the old  "Subrange of String subclass" thread) but I don't see
this as a problem of overloading.

Anyway I don't think that  ``general method overloading'', with
the possible exception of  operators,  is a good idea anyway.

 Rather, the request of an ``overloaded method call''  should  be
made explicit  - as in

 <(a,b)>.foo( _not, *overloaded)

or

 a.foo( b;  also, _not,  overloaded)