List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Ruby and PalmOS
From:       "M. Norton" <mnorton () otaku ! freeshell ! org>
Date:       2002-04-30 13:25:26

Martin Maciaszek <mmaciaszek@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 21:22:26 -0000, "M. Norton"
> <mnorton@otaku.freeshell.org> wrote:

>>I recently read an article on Ruby in Linux Magazine and have since done
>>some poking around Ruby documentation.  Would it be possible to use Ruby
>>to create a PalmOS program?  All of the PalmOS libraries are in C, but
>>they're a pain to use and it seemed to me like the object oriented
>>nature of Ruby might be an ideal wrapper for doing quick and dirty
>>PalmOS programs.  On the other hand, as far as I know, Ruby is an
>>interpreted language, so the Palm device would have to have a Ruby
>>interpreter onboard to be called to run the aforementioned program.
>>
>>Is there a way to have Ruby compiled into a stand alone PalmOS program,
>>or would I have to port the interpreter to PalmOS?
>>
> According to the PalmOS documentation PalmOS has only very limited
> heap space. The space is so limited that parsers generated with lex
> and yacc are almost unusable. A port of ruby to PalmOS < 5 would be
> probably a bit harder than to other platforms. (Unless you like such
> challenges)

Well it's be a fun project.  The main issue is time (as it always is).
This is why I was wondering if there was a way to turn a Ruby script
into a non-interpreted executable.  That is to say, rather than binding
the interpreter to the script, compile it into bytecode.  I suspect I'm
barking up the wrong tree unless I hit the lottery and suddenly have a
lot of available free time, being financially independent ;).  Thanks
for the tip.

Regards,
Mark Norton
--