List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Matrix class in Ruby
From:       jasa <jasa () dalton ! inesc ! pt>
Date:       2002-02-28 15:18:39

Hi,

Today I just played with the Matrix class (file matrix.rb) to solve
linear systems.
I have the Ruby 1.6.5 Windows distribution from PragProg (archive
'ruby165-2.exe').
I verified that the 'matrix.rb' file is the same in the
'ruby-1.6.6.tar.gz' distribution.
The header of this file goes in the end of this email.

I was surprised that the class has not the method '[]=', only has the
method '[]'.
So, I can get one value of the matrix, but I cannot set a value.
        ^^^^^^                                            ^^^^^^^^

A TRIVIAL (I'm just a modest Ruby user, not an hacker B-) .... )
addition to 'matrix.rb' put element 'setting' to work. I just created a
new method '[]=' as follows

#####   the  line in matrix.rb is about 280...

  #accessing                   #<<<< ALREADY EXISTS
  def [](i, j)
    @rows[i][j]
  end

  # setting                      #<<<<<  NEW METHOD...
  def []=(i, j, val)
    @rows[i][j] = val
  end

My only question is that if there is any reason, that I cannot see,
for the method '[]=' not being implemented before ???????
(could Keiju ISHITSUKA reply, please). Is there any danger in
setting an element in the matrix?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Greetings

J. Augusto

P.S.     The matrix class in the library has the following header (the
same as Ruby 1.6.6):

#!/usr/local/bin/ruby
#
#   matrix.rb -
#    $Release Version: 1.0$
#    $Revision: 1.11 $
#    $Date: 1999/10/06 11:01:53 $
#       Original Version from Smalltalk-80 version
#    on July 23, 1985 at 8:37:17 am
#    by Keiju ISHITSUKA
#